Saturday, January 7, 2012

"Ask not what your country can do for you....."

     We've all heard the quote by the late John F. Kennedy. But what does it mean. Community service, to most Americans, is simply a pre-requisite to high school graduation. A chore, one might say. This view is developed from the broad spectrum of what is considered "community service". Nowadays, anything from playing a sport to a PAID internship can fall under the name community service. In all honestly, this shouldn't be the case. A service to the community should not serve a material interest. That would be a "job", not a "service" . Community service is all about charity; giving your time and effort to someone who needs it. Our definition of community service is getting stranger to sign a piece of paper that says you "helped" some inconsequential group.
     With this in mind, let's think about those that ACTUALLY need the help of bright, outstanding citizens such as you and I. Anyone, from orphans to the clinically depressed to the elderly and beyond could go a long way with assistance from those capable. We shouldn't put off doing an activity just because it isn't personally beneficial. If it can go to help another, it can go to help you as well. The selfishness students have developed in the pursuit of achieving academic excellence is detrimental to the human character, and I, for one, am appalled. Being a step up above the rest, I vow to put the needs of the impoverished before the needs of myself.
     The other day, I visited a McDonald's restaurant to have a meal. I noticed a man outside who was looking rather dirty and lost. Upon exiting the establishment, he approached me and asked for any spare change I had. At first, I was suspicious. How could I know this wasn't a scam and that I wasn't a mark for some elaborate conspiracy. In any case, I asked the man who we was. He responded with the story of his forced travel to Florida from Chicago due to a family issue that he couldn't handle. Whether he was lying or not was not on my mind at that moment. All I wanted to do was help the man through a tough time. I pulled out a $10 bill from my pocket and gave it to the man, who looked like he hadn't eaten in ages.
     Before you criticize or applaud me, think. Why would I do such a thing, whether you feel it was good or inadequate? I didn't have much to give the man, but my intention was good. That is what everyone should have before they perform a service to the community. Make sure you're in check before you try to help others. Have the right attitude, and ask what you can do for your country.

5 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you're saying man, still, you should feel very noble for giving that man the ability to get some food. If only the rest of the world did things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooooooow. I can honestly say that I was dazzled by your blog. Great title, and very apropos. At some points it felt like a rallying cry for all humas to be well humane lml and at others as if you were a father chastising your children. Great blog man (next time do it a bit earlier so that others may comment on time..haha see that, now I'm chastising you :p)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was such a nice thing you did! I agree, everyone should give back to the community whenever the can :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa deep stuff Gadiel. You brought up such a good point with that last example; it all comes down to your intention, your character. A lot of those individuals who help the community are motivated by the prestige they can attain for servicing their community and that is not only wrong but a selfish intention in itself. Great blog bro

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was very generous of you! you also write very well. Good job.

    ReplyDelete